Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tick Tock. Tick Tock.

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Though it's belated, but I always think it's the thoughts that count. CNY 2009 proved to be my happiest and saddest CNY ever.

Happiest because i was thrown back to the secondary school days where we played silly games like 'Masuk' during 'rehat' (recess in Malay). 3rd day of CNY, the gathering was held at my place. Teo & I volunteered to organise the gathering and both of us were novices in BBQ.

On the actual day itself, we were still undecided about the pit. Daddy helped to solve many many many issues. Mummy chipped in. Christine ordered the chicken wings and went to the market early in the morning (7am!!) to pick them up and marinated them for a good 3 hours. Me? Went to my friends' house and looked pretty. :P Such bimbotic trait, except I have no boobies.

Teo & Sarah & I went to get the food only at 4+ in the evening and when we reached my house, Daddy was already starting fire. We had no pit, it was a man-made, natural pit - charcoal laid on a zinc, with bricks and mesh on top. Daddy was fantastic. The trouble he took to go to his friend's factory to attempt to borrow a pit; went to look for a zinc, set up, and he even BBQ for us!! Mummy went to buy ice and even bought a water dispenser purposely for the evening. Helped to clean, pack and unpack, boil water, this and that.

Then I realized that I was not helping at all and to a certain extent, useless. They broke out in sweat yet all I did was to just buy food, laid on table and played the evening away. The moral of the story is, I realize how much my parents love me selflessly. They did everything without a whim, without nagging at me, without dirty glances at me. Nothing. They must have enjoyed themselves very much, too because Shum captured a pic of them (and me; like a happy family) laughing happily.

Daddy even opened his 18-year-old Whisky for Kelly. Tsk tsk. Even I didn't know he had such a treasure. It was really smooth. Aahhhh...

Oh and the attendance was superb. It was at least 20 of us. Plus minus those who left earlier and some latecomers. Shouted like mad women akin to our secondary school days. Played like nobody's business. The world practically stopped for us. Sweet.

Saddest because there were some (extended) family problems and I found out that one of my close relative (relation shall remain undisclosed) has breast cancer on both sides. The relative is going through a rough patch in her life and this had to happen. I was so shocked (jaws wide open) and devastated. If there is anything that I can help, I swear I would!

February marks my first month on the new account (yet, again). It's a different ballgame altogether, at a different pace. Shall embark and enjoy this new journey.

Till next time.

No comments: