Monday, November 28, 2005

Is Creativity Stifled Here?

I wrote a long entry yesterday but it was gone with the wind. Anyhow, here's the crux.

I cannot agree more that creativity is stifled here, locally. Firstly, clients are their own designers. They dictate the creatives that we present and propose. Why did you, in the first place ask us to propose new ones then? You want this in this colour, want that placed there. Aiyo, how to make it like that?

Local clients often take designers (and AEs) & ideas for granted. On the contrary, western & Japanese clients respect your every single idea and if you've proposed to what they wanted in the brief, then you've got it. Hardly any major changes. I don't know how true this is because my agency doesn't have any international clients. Only chau locals.

Point 2, bosses also like to become their own Creative Director (CD). Many a times, when both my boss & I go take a new brief, I will jot down every single detail and then come back brief my creative team. Along the way, boss likes to value-add by asking the designers to do what I term as "extra" work because client never asked for them in the begining! To qualify for that, client rejects whatever extra ingredient that was given.

One of my aim when entering the industry was to create or to assist in an award-winning piece of work. Now, I realize, it's hard because creativity is stifled, here. Have you seen a local advertiser clinching the Cannes Lion Award or the Clio Awards? Answer: Hardly.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Winn said...

Yeah i always think clients are the creative directors themselves, they probably already know what they want, but not sharing with their agencies so as to show their superiority and that 'they know best.'

Anonymous said...

yeah! stupid right? if they shared wht they wanted in the begining, it saves time. not only that, it saves them the frusfration at us for not getting what they want! walau these ppl!!

-s.y.