Thursday, March 03, 2005

Extension for the Better

I extended my stay with Media for another week. Yepp. I did it because I felt that I could learn so much more and it's going to be endless learning from s. I have my reservations about working in the lil' island already. But it's compulsory, so there. Anyway today was meeting with 4 more media owners. Briefing was by yours truly, s was beside my of course! I was quite afraid of leaving out certain details or giving insufficient information.

In the midst of one meeting, while the media owner was attending to his phone call, s said, "I want to talk to you later. Want to ask your position." Period. That got me worried. What have I done wrong? Have I been displaying arrogance or inappropriate behaviour? Oh no! I wished that session in a jiffy. I could not really concentrate and was feeling jittery. The moment came. She asked how long will I be with Media and where have I been previously before coming to Media. So I told her I was with Accout Servicing for 5 weeks and Media is my second stint and then will go bla bla bla bla. She then told me that v (from Account Servicing) called and asked if I could go down and help them out. I was quite surprised that it invoked v to ask s to "loan" me for today. mar called sk this morning to try to get me down and sk asked her to ask s. (Alright, I know all these alphabets are very confusing but it involved so many people!) s definitely cannot be bothered with mar, an AE and such a junior. So, I believe mar asked v, being the AD and having more weights to talk to s instead. Hah! So, as I was saying, s told me, as long as I am with Media and out of the Account Servicing department, I am not to do anything they ask me to do. If they had something important, why can't they give me projects to do when I were with them for the whole five weeks??!:O This applies to whichever deparment I am posted to. I thought as an intern, if they ask you to do anything, you'll have to agree, even if you are most reluctant. Having heard that, I told her about how I was supposed to continue doing tearsheets for the 8th floor people. She said it is not right that they ask me to do these things when it's THEIR job and they are plain lazy to do it. :O But I am curious to see what they have in store for me. However, as the saying goes, curiosity kills the cat. Murdered, in my case!!

We left the conference room as it was booked and proceeded to her room to talk. She related her experiences with other interns, with my agency or with her previous ones. She mentioned that she did not like the intern before me (who coincidentally hit off well with the Account Servicing people so much); reason being she was purely not interested in media and arrogantly told s that all she needed was the procedures. So fine, s was so angry and told her she could be given a photocopy of the procedure and s sent her back down to 8th floor. s was terribly angry and emailed t about it. Wahh sounds like a melodrama.

s added that she could see that I am interested and I pick up very fast and I was an eager learner. Thus she is willing to spend more time teaching me and exposing me to more experiences. Said would like to bring me out to see client whenever possible as that is how interns get experience. Instead, she said the Account Servicing practises favourtism. There are some interns that are treated well and given exposure while some did what I did- tearsheets, tearsheets and more tearsheets. s even commented that they should hire someone to do that job. Haha thought that was funny!

Anyway, under s, I am safe. No one is going to "touch" me and I am learning all that I can. I pray that these two weeks are passing slowly and not go away but it's obviously not possible! I was glad that I extended my stint with Media as I felt that I could learn so much more! Plus, cl told me that s had positive comments about me. :D

---

Anyway, about Straits Times charging its online readers and then charging less for users who are also its print subscribers and extending the days registered users can enjoy the new version. Pui!! What the..! I cannot help but agreed to what pw said in her ealier entries which touched slightly on this issue. Now I cannot even keep abreast of Singapore news when I am overseas. Hurrh! Where am I going to find physical Straits Times? Basket!! As a student, how many can afford the subscription fees? Those who study in North or South pole who read Straits Times to know about their countries will now have to pay. Thank you, Singapura! I am disappointed.

---

I am thinking of my future direction. Perhaps no more client servicing, no more account management. Switching focus to media instead. Must have been t's and s's influence. t did not help much and my stay with the department was miserably fruitless. Though it was a short 4 days with s, I learnt so many things, more than I did with t for 5 weeks.

Been reminding myself to sleep early and I think I shall and can tonight. But before that, I need to trim my fingernails. It's freaking long I cannot type properly. Nitez!

No comments: